One of the latest cruise companies to introduce new health and safety rules is Crystal.
The operator has unveiled Crystal Clean+, a list of new initiatives, which will be rolled out on the ‘Crystal Serenity’ and ‘Crystal Symphony’.
The new protocols include – reduced capacity; new embarkation procedures; enhanced cleaning protocols; social distancing and facial covering guidelines; health monitoring for guests and crew; new testing equipment and on board medical resources; isolation staterooms in case of illness with separate air filtration system; shoreside partner collaborations, etc.
“When travellers choose to sail with us, they are entrusting Crystal to keep their well-being as our top priority and we take this trust and responsibility very seriously,” said Crystal’s President and CEO, Tom Wolber. “The Crystal Clean+ programme is an enhancement of the rigorous systems to which our teams have always adhered and offer our guests peace of mind and the assurance that Crystal is committed to ensure a healthy and safe experience aboard our ships.”
Pre-Boarding & Embarkation –
- Guests will check in online and complete a health questionnaire.
- Guests will receive an assigned arrival time to minimise congestion.
- Guests will undergo temperature checks before entering the terminal.
- Guests will complete a second health questionnaire at the terminal.
- A second temperature check will be done at the ship’s gangway via contact-free fever screening systems.
- Guests who show signs of illness will be seen by the medical staff and may be denied boarding.
- Luggage will be disinfected before it is brought on board.
- Additional measures and precautions may be required depending on ports of embarkation/disembarkation.
Capacity Control & Social Distancing –
- Reduced capacity on board the ships once they resume operations.
- Reduced capacity in restaurants, entertainment, fitness centre, pool deck, casino, retail spaces, bars and lounges.
- Social distancing of at least six feet of those outside of a travel party will be required.
- Reduced capacity in elevators.
Disinfection Protocols –
- Frequent disinfection with medical-grade products listed on the EPA List N, and approved for use against COVID-19, norovirus and other infectious diseases.
- Frequent disinfection of all guest accommodations using medical-grade disinfectants.
- On board social spaces disinfected with increased frequency including all public bathrooms, corridors, stairwells and elevators, restaurants, bars, lounges, entertainment and enrichment venues, retail spaces, fitness centre and spa.
- Touchpoints such as handrails, elevator buttons, table-tops, door handles, etc, disinfected with increased frequency during peak hours.
- All dedicated children’s and teens’ facilities disinfected frequently.
- All recreational equipment disinfected with increased frequency.
- Public areas will be deep cleaned and meticulously disinfected with medical-grade disinfectants during overnight hours.
- Electrostatic foggers will be used as an additional tool for disinfection.
- Additional hand sanitising stations using alcohol-based sanitiser will be placed strategically throughout the ship.
Responsive Mask Policy –
- Crystal will provide masks for guests and crew.
- Masks will be required in venues and instances where proper distancing is not possible, including restaurants before being seated, show lounges, casino, fitness centre, elevators, ship tenders, shoreside terminals and tour dispatch areas.
- Crystal will comply with all destination health authorities, which may require masks ashore.
Food & Beverage –
- Open Seating Dining will continue with social distancing considerations.
- Guest seating will ensure ample spacing.
- Disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request.
- In-room dining choices will be available 24/7.
- Contact-free dining service will be implemented in all on board venues.
- Self-service options will be eliminated in the Marketplace, Bistro and other venues.
- All restaurants, bars and galleys will be disinfected with increased frequency.
- Increased hand washing and use of hand sanitising stations will be required.
- Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced.
Air Filtration & Ventilation –
- All air filters and cooling coils are frequently thoroughly checked and maintained to ensure the highest standard of air quality possible.
- Guest accommodation and corridors set aside for isolation in the event of illness feature ventilation systems with separate ducting and air supply.
Shoreside Partners & Excursions –
- Crystal is working closely with all shoreside partners to ensure that Crystal Clean+ protocols extend to guests’ experience onshore.
- Tour coaches and tenders will be disinfected to meet Crystal Clean+ standards.
- Excursion group sizes will be reduced to help allow for proper social distancing.
- Crystal will monitor port regulations and adjust requirements and schedules as needed to maintain guests’ health and wellbeing.
- Crystal strongly recommends that guests who choose to book tours independently consider that these operators may fall short of the disinfection standards that Crystal requires of its partners.
- Crystal will partner with local destinations and tour operators to ensure industry-leading health and sanitation protocols extend to the shoreside experience.
- Crystal will only visit safe, open ports of call, which may cause changes to the itinerary.
- Crystal will keep guests up to date with the latest confirmed itinerary changes.
- Additional health screenings may be required by local health officials before disembarkation in certain ports.
Crew Member Standards & Practices –
- Crew to be tested for COVID-19 prior to boarding.
- Crew will undergo frequent temperature checks and regular health monitoring.
- Crew will wear face shields, masks and other necessary PPE when interacting with guests.
- Crew transfer between ships will be minimised.
- Crew are prohibited from personal contact with guests, such as handshaking and hugging.
- Crew are trained on health and safety measures.
Medical Centre & Services –
- The medical team to comprise a doctor and three nurses on board each ship, available 24/7.
- Crystal’s Medical Centres are well equipped with ventilators, virus testing equipment, X-Ray machines, extensive first aid tools and common prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Medical Centres will be equipped to perform Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Point of Care testing.
- Isolated wards are available in the Medical Centre.
Public Health Officer –
- The Public Health Officer is trained in the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Programme.
- Oversees outbreak mitigation and cleaning protocols.
- Closely co-ordinates with medical teams.
- Ensures that daily cleaning protocols are in accordance with CDC guidelines.