The inaugural Cruise Ship Interiors Awards (CSIA) took place virtually on 15th June.
Winners were picked across 19 categories. The finalists were hand picked by a panel of industry experts from across the cruise lines. CSIA then opened the voting to the cruise interiors community.
The winners in each category were:
- Best Cabin, sponsored by Eumar Design – Studio DADO! The Miami-based design firm created the ‘Sky Princess’ Sky Suites for Princess Cruise Lines.
- Best Restaurant, sponsored by Five Star Table Linens – De Jorio Design International! The Italian design firm created the Champagne Bar on board ‘MSC Seaside’.
- Best Spa/Wellness, sponsored by The Marine Interiors Club – Virgin Voyages with Knibb! The Virgin Voyages design team joined with LA-based Knibb to create Redemption Spa on board the cruise line’s first vessel, ‘Scarlet Lady’.
- Best Public Space, sponsored by Trevira – Carnival Cruise Line! The cruise line’s in-house design team created the Havana Bar & Pool Area on board ‘Carnival Panorama’.
- Best Outdoor Space, sponsored by Njords Ark – SMC Design! The London-based design firm created The Lido for Saga Cruises’‘Spirit of Discovery’.
- Best Furniture, sponsored by Elmo Leather – Piaval for the Macaron Collection!
- Best Floor Covering, sponsored by F Ball and Co Ltd – G Theodor Freese GmbH! The cement-based design solution has been used on interior areas on board NCL’s ‘Norwegian Bliss’ and ‘Norwegian Joy’.
- Best Lighting, sponsored by MRD – Precosia, Tillberg Design of Sweden & We Are Light! The three companies worked together to create the 220,000 glass crystal atrium chandelier on board ‘Norwegian Bliss’.
- Best Bathroom – Eumar Design! A new entry to the Split range, it was installed on board ‘Marella Explorer 2’, and is able to withstand heavy weather conditions.
- Best Art, sponsored by Kalmar – Volume Creative! The UK-based design firm created 3D nautical artwork to adorn each stair lobby on board Virgin Voyages’ ‘Scarlet Lady’.
- Best Innovation, sponsored by Studio DADO – Interior Proman! Limartec Wood Veneer Systems is claimed to be the first semi-finished product on the market.
- Sustainable Product of the Year, sponsored by Saapunki Marketing – Magicman! This company has restored and re-juvenated items across many cruise lines, including Holland America Line, Marella Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line, Viking Cruises and more.
- Best Drydock, sponsored by Magicman – MJM Marine! The Northern Ireland-based team completed the ‘Norwegian Joy’ Westernisation Project for NCL.
- Best Rebrand, sponsored by C&C Sign Makers – Trimline! Trimline completed the majority of the interior re-brand of ‘Marella Explorer 2’. • Best Newbuild, sponsored by Trimline – Virgin Voyages with ‘Scarlet Lady’.
*Best Signage – SMC Design! SMC Design created architectural and wayfinding solutions for Saga Cruises’ ‘Spirit of Discovery’.
- Legend of Design – Giacomo Erasmo Mortola! Founder of GEM – Design for Cruise, his work can be seen on board many of today’s cruise ships, including Cunard’s ‘Queen Elizabeth’.
- Rising Star – Callie Tedder-Hares! Founder and Creative Director at Volume Creative who worked with Virgin Voyages’ in-house design team to create the experience on board ‘Scarlet Lady’.
In addition, Cruise Ship Interiors (CSI) is to launch a new virtual event in lieu of the Miami edition of Cruise Ship Interiors & Hospitality Expo 2020.
This virtual event, CSI & CSH Online, will host over 350 exhibitors, a full conference programme and a networking service.
CSI’s virtual event will be made available exclusively to companies exhibiting at Cruise Ship Interiors & Hospitality Expo Miami 2021. The organisers explained that the companies who have kept their reserved space do not need to act, but companies who have cancelled their booths need to discuss re-booking space for 2021 and thus getting access to this new virtual platform.
Not only will exhibitors have full access for the one live day of networking, conference sessions and much more but the platform will also be available for one month on demand keeping visitor enquiries ongoing.