Following an extensive $200 mill rebuildproject carried out by Navantia at its Cadiz shipyard, Carnival Cruise Lines,‘Carnival Sunrise’ , the former ‘Carnival Triumph’ made her debutat Norfolk, Virginia’s Decker Half Moone Cruise Centre at the end of April.
The drydocking and refurbishment programme delivered a variety of food, beverage and entertainment innovations, as well as stateroom upgrades,
‘Carnival Sunrise’ kicked off an inaugural season of four- to 14-day voyages that visit the Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahamas, the Panama Canal, New England and Canada. The first four cruises sail from Norfolk, Va.
“The introduction of ‘Carnival Sunrise’ brings an incredibly enhanced ship to our guests with all of the popular features from across our fleet,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “We couldn’t be more proud to introduce ‘Carnival Sunrise’ in Norfolk.”
“To be the first port in the US to welcome ‘Carnival Sunrise’ makes this a very special event for Norfolk,” said StephenKirkland, Nauticus executive director. “We’re eager to roll out the red carpet for these guests, and for the staff and crew of this beautiful ship.”
According to a study conducted by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), Carnival and other cruise operators account for $153 mill in direct expenditures, 2,800 jobs and $170 mill in wages for the US state of Virginia each year.
Part of a fleetwide $2 bill ship enhancement programme, ‘Carnival Sunrise’ now includes features, such as:
- Casual F&B options: Poolside venues like Guy’s Burger Joint and Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse, in collaboration with Food Network star and longtime partner Guy Fieri, BlueIguana Cantina & Tequila Bar, RedFrog Rum Bar, as well as upgrades to the Lido Marketplace, an expanded ice cream station, the Java Blue coffee bar and 24-hour Pizzeria del Capitano.
- Specialty dining: The Chef’s Table fine dining experience, the cocktail pharmacy-themed Alchemy Bar, as well as Italian, sushi and seafood options.
- Shopping and Personal Care: A Cherry on Top sweet shop, Pixels photo gallery, expanded retail outlets and renovated fitness and spa facilities.
- Outdoor Decks and Attractions: A new water park with slides and a kiddie splash zone, a Serenity adults-only retreat, and a SportSquare recreation area with ropes course and mini golf.
- Youth & Family Entertainment: Dedicated Camp Ocean, Circle “C” and Club O2 facilities hosting supervised children’s programming for kids 2-17, as well as an arcade.
- Theatre& Live Entertainment: The Punchliner Comedy Club in the new Limelight Lounge, Playlist Productions shows in the Liquid Lounge, live entertainment, deck parties, onboard programming and the popular sing-along piano bar.
- Staterooms and Suites: Two redesigned Captain’s Suites and updates to all staterooms.
Beginning on 23rdMay, ‘Carnival Sunrise’ willsail from New York through mid-October on a series of four- to 14-day voyages. She will return to Norfolk, Va in October for two six-day cruises then re-position to Fort Lauderdale, Fla for four- and five-day cruises beginning 28th October.
In the latest in our series of Q&A sessions, which see, we spoke with Lisa McCabe, Carnival Cruise Line’s Vice President of Hotel Refurbishment regarding cruise ship interior design and how to accomplish a pleasing result.